We use cookies and other similar technologies (Cookies) to enhance your experience and to provide you with relevant content and ads. By using our website, you are agreeing to the use of Cookies. You can change your settings at any time. Cookie Policy.


High Toxic Chemicals Are Found in Household Products

Originally published November 14, 2005

As part of National Poison Prevention Week, health officials are warning parents to keep their children away from household poisons, reports NewsTarget.com. That's good advice, of course, but sadly very little attention is paid to slow-acting poisons and toxic chemicals found in personal care products that slowly (but surely) kill both parents and children by the millions. I'm talking about the toxic chemicals found in everyday household products that, when absorbed through the skin (as practically all chemicals are), lead directly to liver toxicity, nervous system disorders, and cancer.

The bathroom is one of the most toxic rooms in the house for most American families. People use deodorants containing aluminum (Alzheimer's disease), shampoos containing harsh solvents (liver toxicity), toothpaste containing non-organic fluoride (osteoporosis), mouthwash with aspartame (brain tumors) or saccharin (cancer), and to top it off, most people slap on a dab of perfume or cologne containing highly toxic cancer-causing chemicals. In a laboratory analysis, one popular perfume was found to contain more than forty chemicals classified as hazardous to the liver, and yet the FDA still does not require perfume manufacturers to warn consumers about the toxic chemicals found in their products.

And the bathroom is only the beginning: the laundry room is also highly toxic, containing the same chemical perfumes in both the laundry detergent and especially the dryer sheets. Dryer sheets coat all your clothes with a layer of toxic chemicals. When you wear those clothes, your body moisture causes those chemicals to come into contact with your skin and be absorbed directly into your bloodstream. It's an easy way to poison your system with cancer-causing chemicals.

The kitchen is also highly toxic: consumers purchase antibacterial soap products made with a potent nerve chemical similar to agent orange—that’s what kills the bacteria. They also use automatic dishwashing detergent containing yet more chemicals and toxic fragrance compounds that coat the plates, glasses and silverware with a thin layer of cancer-causing chemicals. Subsequently, families then eat off those dishes and ingest the chemicals.

In the yard, people use horrific quantities of pesticides and herbicides with seemingly no care whatsoever about the health consequences of doing so. I had a neighbor once who couldn't stand the moles tunneling through his back yard, so he coated his entire yard with a chemical (purchased at a local home & lawn store) that would poison and kill all the worms. With the worms gone, the moles had to look for food somewhere else. In the mind of my neighbor, he solved the problem! Of course, he was oblivious to the fact that he wiped out the all-important biodiversity of his lawn and would thereafter be dependent on a long list of chemicals to battle one lawn disease after another, arising from the fact that all the worms were dead. (Your lawn needs worms to be healthy.) Some people just don't get it. They think chemicals solve these problems, and they have absolutely no regard for nature. You see the same thing in organized medicine, of course, where doctors and pharmaceutical companies push chemicals onto patients in much the same way that my neighbor used chemicals to kill all the worms in his lawn. Yes, you could say the ploy "worked" in one sense, but only in a very narrow-minded, short-term way. Modern medicine operates with much the same mindset. I've always said that if modern medicine were responsible for treating lawns, they would diagnose a shortage of water as "yellow grass disease" and prescribe "green lawn paint" at $100 / gallon to make the lawn look greener.

But getting back to household poisons: the most dangerous poisons are not the ones labeled as such. Most people aren't even aware that their perfumes and colognes are poisons. They have no clue that most deodorants cause Alzheimer's disease. They're not even aware that dryer sheets coat their clothes in a thin layer of chemicals that promote liver cancer. So they keep buying and using all these products, day after day, oblivious to the reality. Product manufacturers, meanwhile, absolutely deny the health consequences of their products. They acknowledge that the chemicals are present, but they claim the skin doesn't absorb them. That's nonsense, of course: the skin absorbs practically all chemicals. That's why the "patch" medicines work in the first place: the medicine is absorbed through the skin.

This BeyeNETWORK news item contains information from a recent press release by the company mentioned.