I was recently posed a good set of questions by Dan Lindstedt on MDM. I thought Iâ€™d share my quippy answers with you.
- Where do you â€˜masterâ€™ the master data? Strategy: MDM hub feeding operational systems and the DW
- How do you model master data? Strategy: Like a dimensional modelâ€™s dimensions; hierarchical
- What master data do you distribute? Strategy: Break all master data into â€˜subject areasâ€™ and distribute full subject areas (changed data only)
- Does 3rd party data constitute master data? Strategy: Absolutely. If itâ€™s not transactional and it helps to explain the subject, itâ€™s master data.
- What style of MDM should we use? Strategy: It depends, but usually a hub has had the best value proposition so far.
- Use a tool or do homemade MDM? Strategy: It depends, but usually should be a more later-stage decision than it usually is
Posted March 30, 2007 8:42 AM
Permalink | No Comments |